On August 12, 2017, David and I visited the “Ai Weiwei at Meijer Gardens: Natural State” exhibition with our daughter-in-law Kathy’s parents, Sandie and Paul Nelson. As always, getting together with them was a fantastic break from our busy life.
Until a few weeks ago, I did not know anything about Ai Weiwei, nor about the exhibition, nor about the Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park in Grand Rapids, Michigan, where the exhibition has been held since January 27, 2017. It lasts through August 20, 2017, just a few days from today.
Never, at any other art exhibitions, have I felt the need to read every description on the wall about each exhibit. It was different this time. I needed to understand why Ai Weiwei created each object.
- Ai Weiwei’s gift is beyond measure.
- Ai Weiwei is a life force.
- If you care about life, then you need to get to know Ai Weiwei.
- If you care about how you spend your life, then you need to get to know Ai Weiwei.
- If freedom is important to you, as it is to me, then you need to get to know Ai Weiwei and understand why he does what he does.
Here is a glimpse into Ai Weiwei’s world: “Without Fear or Favor (BBC).” Now that I learned about Ai Weiwei, I doubt my life will ever be the same.
A few extra photos from the day of discoveries and fun, right here in our beautiful state of Michigan.